Sunday, December 9, 2012

Today's NFL players could learn a lesson from Bo


For the past two Sundays, America has been reminded just how fragile some of the athletes are in the National Football League.

I am not referring to the strength of the players’ bodies, but rather the fragile nature of some of the players’ internal makeup, as witnessed by the headlines of the past two weekends. 

A murder suicide committed by a Kansas City Chiefs player has been followed up by news of a Dallas Cowboys practice squad player who was killed in an automobile driven by an intoxicated friend and teammate.

Any football fan with a heart has to hurt for the families of these players and everyone directly involved.  It is indeed a sad feeling to take into a football Sunday, but then I suddenly remembered a documentary I saw last night and I began to cheer up.

The ESPN 30 for 30 series documentary “You Don’t Know Bo:  The Legend of Bo Jackson” tells the story of one of my all-time favorite athletes. 

Bo starred as a football and baseball standout at Auburn University during a chunk of my high school years, when I was sometimes at odds with my dad for not applying myself in school.  Bo had no way of knowing that his exploits on the football field brought me tons of enjoyment during a challenging period of my life.

My first year of college was Bo’s senior year at Auburn, and by that time my grades were no longer an issue and I could watch Bo work his magic while feeling relatively stress free.  I celebrated as Bo won the Heisman Trophy following his senior season and whenever I could I watched him perform as a professional with the Kansas City Royals of Major League Baseball and later the NFL's Oakland Raiders.  A feat he performed simultaneously! 

Blessed with legendary strength and speed, Bo thrilled fans in both sports before his hip gave way after being tackled in a NFL playoff game at the age of 28. By this time I viewed Bo more as a long distance friend, as opposed to a hero, and I felt awfully bad for my friend.  Watching him return to baseball for a short stint following hip replacement surgery left me with an even sadder feeling.

However, a surprising thing happened after Bo’s professional athletic career was officially over at age 32.  Instead of the sad feeling lingering, I found myself becoming happy during those rare occasions Bo was interviewed on TV after his career, because Bo always seemed to be happy.  This man who made the game so special for so many fans, did not seem to miss the game and all that he was able to do on the playing field. 

Bo has always come across as a man very much at peace with no great external wants or regrets.  This comes across in the Michael Bonfiglio directed documentary and I thank ESPN and Bonfiglio for presenting this film to let me and the world know that our old friend Bo is doing just fine.

I hope the players performing today can avoid injuries as much as possible.  But more important, I hope they all can find the inner strength that Bo Jackson seems to possess.  If so, these players will be much better off during the remainder of their playing careers and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. Scott,
    Great blog! I enjoyed the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 special so much, I watched it again when they replayed it at midnight! I was pretty young when he was playing in the pros, but both John and I grew up loving him. Unlike so many athletes today, Bo not only had otherworldly talent, but also humility. I loved the story he shared about watching football with his wife and asking, "Is it okay if I go to my man cave?" Hope to see you soon!

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani. I'm glad you liked the entry. I thought the documentary was excellent as well and I'm sure I will watch it multiple times as well and get new insights. But the short of it is that Bo Jackson was a special athlete and remains a special person! I hope to see you soon, too!
      Scott

      Delete