Saturday, December 8, 2012

'Girls on the Run' empowers young ladies one step at a time

The challenges of life had taken me away from my blog for several months.  Therefore, it is fitting that a program which helps people conquer challenges would bring me back to my blog and hopefully this time for good.

The program that I speak of is "Girls on the Run," which empowers girls from the ages of 8 to 13 by exposing them to distance running.

As a lifelong runner, I understand with all my heart how running long distances can fuel the mind, body and soul.  My family and running are the constant sources that keep my life moving forward each day regardless of the challenges I may face.

That is why a big smile flashed across my face when I learned my eight-year-old friend in Washington D.C., Isabella, was running in a 5K race (3.1 miles) put on by the "Girls on the Run" chapter in her area.  I have wanted nothing but the best for Isabella since the day she came on the planet and to know that she and the other young ladies in the program are learning that they can accomplish anything in life through a one-step-at-a-time process, feels me with joy.

I knew nothing about "Girls on the Run" until Isabella's mom, a coach in the program, informed me of the journey they were about to embark on together.  Now I want to learn more about this wonderful program and I encourage anyone who comes across this post to do the same.

For more information about "Girls on the Run" please visit www.girlsontherun.org.  www.girlsontherun.org

No comments:

Post a Comment