Monday, December 10, 2012

'Girls on the Run' continuation: If Isabella likes it; I love it!



On Saturday I wrote about my eight-year-old friend Isabella in Washington D.C. who recently participated in a 5K “Girls on the Run” event.

When I first heard that Isabella was doing this it warmed my heart and excited me to know that she is experiencing the joys of running at a young age and being empowered in the process.

A similar feeling of joy and excitement consumed me last night when I received a very special message from Isabella’s mom telling me that Isabella enjoyed reading my story about her.

Well, if Isabella likes it, I love it!  In writing about Isabella’s experience, I had not considered that it is also would be a positive experience for her to relive the 5K by reading a story about the event with her cast as the star.  Perhaps having her story told in writing will give Isabella a little extra excitement the next time she laces up her running shoes.   If so, I feel my writing is serving a much higher service and I do not want this service to end.

If anyone reading this knows of a young person who is beginning to have a life-enriching experience through sports and physical fitness, please feel free to drop me a line.  I would love to feature the child’s story in this blog and hopefully encourage more youth and parents to view physical activity as a pathway to a positive life.

No comments:

Post a Comment